Saturday 19 May 2012

Thirteen days in May

So we have had almost 13 days of uninterupted fall. Just one tiny recovery day. I had been expecting it for weeks and there had been three false starts. It's an almost 7.5% fall from the peak. The big question now is whether this is the bottom. The spike in volume suggests that for the time being it might be. I shall certainly be worrying on Monday and will be ready to cash in the profits on my shorts.

All of this analysis has been done without reference to the news. However much I try to insulate myself from it news leaks in through my ears and eyes and I am aware that Europe is in the grip of a panic about Greek and Spanish banks. This has to be worrying because noone is immune from a banking collapse. It would be foolish to assume that national borders would protect banks in one country from disasters in another. My response to the panic has been to buy some gold. This has had very modest success. Surprising given the scale of the risk. On Monday, if I sell my shorts, I shall be sitting on loads of cash, very vulnerable to what is happening in the banking world. What to do with it will be the next challenge. More precious metals? Shares in big solid companies in consumer basics? US bonds? There is no clear place of safety.

I suppose I will just have to go on worrying. Anyone got any ideas?

No comments: