Monday 12 March 2012

Back in the doldrums

After last week's scare we are back in the doldrums. The market has recovered - a bit. It has bounced through our two resistance levels. (You will remember that these are highs established in May and July last year. The next resistance level which I have just added was established in May of 2008, before the 2008 market crash.)
Currently the market is struggling with the 13000 level which it has breached briefly before falling back. It is also below the diagonal trend line support level.

At present I working on the assumption that we are poised on the brink of a renewed bull market which may be short lived. I am therefore picking shares that should generate short term gains using two strategies:

  • I am currently experimenting with a month by month share picking pattern. I buy shares and hold them for a month and then replace them with a new batch. The reason for this rapid rate of turnover is because the shares I pick are in reasonable companies that have been severely beaten down in price. These shares can show spectacular returns but carry a high level of risk and meteoric percentage rises can quickly evaporate. These are shares that I seek out in the US, Hong Kong and the UK
  • I am also buying shares using my tried and tested UK system that looks for shares which have out performed the market and have exceptionally attractive fundamental characteristics. PE ratio, predicted growth rates etc.
So last week I was frightened out of my positions based on the first strategy, with a moderately better than neutral outcome; and held onto the shares bought using the second strategy.

As things settled down and the market recovered I bought back into strategy A, a little more cautiously than before. The US shares I bought were PCX DMND STRI AMRS PMFG. They are already showing a nice chunk of profit. In HK I bought 886 267 2328 2342 and 1828. They have yet to show a profit. In the UK I strengthened my portfolio of strategy B shares with VP. BMY RNO and SPD. I'm still waiting for an uptick in those.

Remember that nothing here is a recommendation. I mention what I have bought so you can all watch and then have a good laugh if I fall flat on my face OR think how right he was if I don't. 

Pip pip and good luck with your endeavours.

No comments: