Tuesday 28 February 2012

Busy days

Since the last week in January I have been active. I have gone from a portfolio that was half empty to one that has almost no cash. I have a rump of my gold and silver, which is doing very well and represents 9% of my portfolio. I still have that position in cattle which is languishing. I had the opportunity to take a small profit a few days ago but didn't and am now showing a small loss. A big part of the problem here is currency loss. I shall not keep this much longer.

78% of my portfolio is in equities some doing well and some doing badly. In the UK I have three strategies.


  • The first looks for shares that have a low prospective pe ratio; a high prospective earnings per share; positive revenue growth; have out-performed the market in price movement and that out-performance is accelerating; they must generate cash flow more quickly than earnings. Picking shares on that basis has generated a profit of over 4% in  a week.
  • The second is my surfing strategy which I have been running for about a month, this has generated just over 3% in a month with most of the profit realised
  • Finally I seek out high valued stocks in growing sectors and these have generated 1.8% in about three weeks 
I am happy with these returns since the bulk of the profits were made in a period when the market went up by less that half a percent.

I also did well in Hong Kong where I sought out shares with a decent value profile but which had suffered a collapse in price. Here I made almost 3% in a little over a week while the market made 1.5%.

The big disappointment was the US where I looked for  high valued stocks in growing sectors and for small cap stocks that have suffered bad price reversals and they have left me with a loss of 9%. I am holding on because these selection strategies have worked well in the past through thick and thin. If they do not start to perform I will have to do a serious debrief to see what went wrong.

Using my surfing strategy in the US was also a failure. I lost about 1.5% in a month.

Today's graph shows how my surfing strategy works at its best. I look for shares that are trending upwards - shown by the middle blue line. I then pick those which are at or near the bottom of the channel representing a movement of 1.5 standard deviations (the dotted blue lines). I like to see a high percentage movement back up to the trend line. In this case it was 9%. I bought at 125 on 25th January and sold at 133 to realise a 5% profit after costs in ten days. I could have held on to the top of the channel but I had no way of knowing it would get there - it did not before. I think I am happy with this type of trade and will increase my stake to reduce the impact of costs

2 comments:

Terry. said...

Hi paul , in your 1st strategy can you input the criteria you are looking for to select shares into the sharescope software to pick out the shares for you.
also looking at your chart for talk talk if you used a mental stop loss at the lowest point of the previous day and moved it up this way as it moved up wouldnt this allow for futher gains and let the stop loss make the decision of when you are out,allowing for any futher gains to be had.
at the moment i am running a dummy spread betting account,which i am testing out until i feel ready to go,i feel spreadbetting is the way forward for me as there are no costs.
Terry.

paulus said...

Hello Terry
A request too far I'm afraid. It took me a long long time to perfect my system. I've already given a lot of clues so you could set about creating your own.

The idea of a trailing stop loss is seductive but my mindset prefers the approach of cashing in the profits. Even a trailing stop loss opens you up to the risk of losing profits - a bird in the hand and all that.

Once a share price has moved up sharply the risk reward turns against you.

I had to stop a horrendous loss that was developing on one of my US purchases: ALVR. I probably waited too long but when you've got it wrong you MUST bail out. A share price can always fall further. There is no harm in buying back later if circumstances change.

Let me know how your paper trading efforts are going. What strategies are you using? Have you got a real portfolio as well?

All the best Paul