Thursday 5 January 2012

Bad connections


I decided to go for it and bought shares in US UK and HK. I made money that first day but it started to drain away yesterday. It's too early to say whether this was a smart move. I was encouraged by Tuesday's clear breakout on the DOW following a few holiday days sitting on top of the resistance/ support line. So far there has been no clear follow through so I am getting a bit nervous. I'm ready to jump either way: buy more, or yelp and run off with my tail between my legs. It's that sort of market.

Gold and silver present similar dilemmas. An excellent rally on Tuesday (and a nice profit for me) but little follow through. Both are coming up to resistance levels. Silver is approaching a line I drew some time ago, gold one which I have only just added. Vigilance is required here too. 

I have been suffering from ongoing broadband connection problems for about two months now and they are getting worse rather than better despite attentive and heroic efforts from BT ably managed, I have to say, by TalkTalk (not everyone's favourite but I've been with them or my phone for many years and several name changes. I think they were called Mercury when I started). BT's latest effort is to rewire from the house to two telegraph poles away. It cleared the crackle on my phone line but the crackle comes back when broadband is attached. For my part I have changed my phones and my router. And still the crackle goes on and broadband drops out several times a day. Sometimes it comes back of its own accord at others I have to reboot the router and the computer. Not much fun. I had to kick Plus Net (my broad band supplier) quite hard to push them into action after the holiday break but they are sending a BT engineer this afternoon. It's dispiriting and I worry that I might end up with no service at all. A bad way to start the new year.

And here's another little worry. Here is a five year look at the DOW. To my eyes it has a distinctly toppy look to it. Stay lucky.


No comments: