Thursday 8 December 2011

Among the mad people

Which way now?
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter 6) 


These days of sitting on the border are excruciating. As the DJI went down I bought more positions. And then up it went again.  Discretion being the better part... and all that ... I took small losses and stuck with a smaller position. This could have been just the wrong thing to do. I could have been mistaken counting the 30th November as the first day on the border. Some more of my wishful thinking. On Monday 5th the price almost touched our resistance. Then Tuesday it broke through. So yesterday was either the second or third day of hovering around resistance. I have to keep my powder dry and sit on my hands a little longer.

As for gold and silver. I have shuffled my gold holdings and now have a physical gold ETF in New York so I can trade into the evening more easily. The code is SGOL and the gold is held in Switzerland.

And so we go on waiting, nibbling our finger nails while the market makes up its mind which way to go.

Yesterday I made a delicious vegetarian dish. My own version of Jamaican Rice and Peas. Dead simple too. Chop and fry a large onion gently until it is soft, add enough rice for the number eating (about 2 oz per person). Fry a bit longer. Then add a tin of coconut milk and another of water (that's for three to four people, add more liquid if you're cooking more rice and vice versa). Simmer until almost all the liquid is gone then add a tin of red kidney beans and/or a tin of chick peas. Gungo peas are even better but they are quite hard to find in an ordinary supermarket. I then add frozen peas. Add salt and pepper when the rice is done - it should take 10 -15 minutes. Then mix in the seeds of a pomegranate.

No comments: