Sunday 16 October 2011

Dollar falls, Dow at top of two month old channel

A week later and we are still in the same neck of the woods. The FTSE looks as though it has broken out of its channel but an examination of the US markets shows that we are at the top of the DJI and S&P channels. A further rise this week would confirm a break out, a pull back would show that we are still sitting inside that nearly two month old channel. No amount of analysis will tell us which way the market will go. A toss of a coin would do just as well.

The fire has gone out of gold and silver and they plod gently onward. There is however, a new strong directional movement as I suggested on October 4th. I do not intend to spend a lot of my time patting myself on the back for making good predictions. Unfortunately at the moment I am losing money so a bit of a boost to my moral is required. I forecast that the $ was ready to move up ten days ago and this is exactly what has happened. (Remember the chart works upside down for the $. A strengthening of the £ is represented by an upward movement.)

Unfortunately I am not set up to make money out of this. Precisely the opposite. I have cash and assets in dollars which my broker make impossible to protect because of the high fees they charge for converting currency. So I have to bear the pain. If anyone has any ideas about how I can hedge I would be grateful.

Anyway net result is that I am losing on gold and silver since they are denominated in $ and the small gains translate into sterling losses.

Cow is the only bright spot in my portfolio at present: up 7.8% since I opened the position on 15 September and the second bight, purchased on 3rd October, is up 1.5%.

See you tomorrow at the start of a more profitable week, I hope.

No comments: